"Living Off The Land"
History of the Historic School Building
The Des Allemands, Bayou Gauche, Paradis Museum Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
On March 23, 2011 a town hall meeting was held concerning the fate of a building that previously served as a school for the Des Allemands, Bayou Gauche and Comardelle Village communities.
The cypress wooden structure was built in 1923. It served the community of Des Allemands until 1931, at which time it was put on a barge and moved 12 miles downstream to the community of Comardelle Village. It served the community until 1941. Again, it was no longer needed and put on a barge and moved 9 miles upstream to Bayou Gauche. When the school bus system started in Bayou Gauche, the children were bused to the Des Allemands School. The building was again moved to its present location at 1486 WPA Road, Des Allemands, LA. Since arriving at its present location in Des Allemands, the building has served as a meeting hall for the American Legion, Post 316. It was used for town hall meetings, wedding receptions and social family events. It hosted the first, second and third Des Allemands Catfish Festivals held on the second weekend of July in 1975, 1976 and 1977 . The building was also used by the St. Charles Council on Aging for serving seniors meals, and finally by the St. Charles Recreation Department for baseball and football events.
It was determined that the building was structurally sound and could be restored. A group of concerned citizens formed a nonprofit board, the Des Allemands, Bayou Gauche, Paradis Museum Society, in 2013. The board was charged with restoring the building to be used as a museum.